Sunday, April 5, 2009

Nineteen and Counting

Quick update: edits on AUC are going well. Word count is down to 85K, with a long way to go.

So I've now created nineteen versions of my query letter. NINETEEN! Yikes. I'm really hoping that's a reflection of my query writing skills rather than my novel writing skills.

Out of the nineteen, there are five distinct versions:

Queries 1-6: mainly synopsis, protag vs physical antagonist.
Queries 7-9: little plot detail, a lot protags growth process
Queries 10-14: an attempt to combine plot and purpose, with a better hook
Queries 15-17: protag vs internal (main) antagonist, with key plot details
Queries 18-19: bare bones based on Nathan Bransford's Query MadLib

I'm really hoping v17 or v19 will work out. This is a long process that I'm hoping will be done soon. Does anyone else have this much trouble with query writing?

Anette

2 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Um, I don't know if I'd this MUCH trouble, but I haven't seriously tried to write my queries yet. I have a feeling I'll be calling on your help. :)

I'll get to your email soon. It's a super-busy week, but I'll try! You are doing great, Anette. :D

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Woh, 19 is a lot of versions!

I just posted my version 1 on my blog, but I know I have a lot more versions to go before I hit on the best possible query.